Monday, August 3, 2009

FIFTEEN

Fifteen

You take a deep breath and walk through the doors. It's the morning of your very first day.You say hi to your friends you ain't seen in a while. Try and stay out of everybody's way.It's your freshmen year and you're gonna be here for the next four years in this town. Hoping one of those senior boys will wink at you and say you know I haven't seen you around, before.

{{Chorus}} Cause when you're fifteen and somebody tells you that they love you you're gonna believe them and when you're fifteen, feeling like there's nothing to figure out well count to ten, take it in this is life before you know who you're gonna be fifteen.

You sit in class next to a redhead girl named Abigail and soon enough you're best friends laughing at the other girls who think they're so cool. We'll be out of here as soon as we can and then you're on you're way. First date and he's got a car and you're feeling like flying and you're mama's waiting up and you're thinking he's the one and you're dancing 'round your room when the night ends...when the night ends.

{{Chorus}}Cause when you're fifteen and somebody tells you they love you you're gonna believe them when you're fifteen and your first kiss makes your head spin 'round but in your life you'll do things greater than dating a boy on the football team...but I didn't know at fifteen.

When all you wanted was to be wanted wish you could go back and tell yourself what you know now.Back then I swore I was gonna marry him someday but I realized some bigger dreams of mine and Abigail gave everything she had to a boy who changed his mind and we both cried.

{{Chorus}}Cause when you're fifteen and somebody tells you that they love you you're gonna believe them and when you're fifteen, don't forget to look before you fall. I've found time can heal most anything and you just might find who you're supposed to be. I didn't know who I was supposed to be at fifteen.la la la la la...la la la la la...la la la la la.

The lyrics to this Taylor Swift song really struck me this morning because of how much I can agree with just about every word of the song. I still remember freshman year of high school as one of the most nervous times for me, as I eagerly looked for my friends from jr. high at the flagpole where everyone gathered before the first bell rang. I remember the feeling I got when an upperclassmen talked to me, and how "cool" it felt to be acknowledged by him. I'll never forget the day I met my best friend and the way we used to laugh nonstop at tennis practice everyday or the way we used to spend entire nights talking about the "drama" we had with the boys we liked. How we would talk for hours about the difference between a "side" hug and a "real" hug. Did it mean he liked me if he used to give me "side" hugs and now have me "real" hugs? I remember the night after my first date and believing with my whole heart that, that guy was the one I was meant to be with and was supposed to marry because of how perfect he was.

But then a few years go by and you look back and realize just how much you've grown up. How your world can change from one day to the next and that the unexpected should always be expected. You realize that you WILL do greater things than date the guy on the football team. That the future has greater and more exciting things in store, if you only let it reveal itself to you. If you give your life the chance it deserves to really become an exciting one filled with experience, I believe it will demonstrate itself to be a very worthwhile one.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! I couldn't agree more.

    But don't forget that college also has a senior year in store for us, and what a ride it's been with you these past three years! :D

    I'll never forget screening your first call on my answering machine as you excitedly yet hesitantly (and oh so naively) introduced yourself - I couldn't resist picking up!

    ReplyDelete